Sober Village

Sober Community | Sober Chat | Sober Forum | Sober Video

What Books Have Helped You In Your Journey To Sobriety and Recovery

I am new to this site, only having joined today, and it doesn't look like there are many registered on the site yet, and it seems like people need to participate more to help the site grow, so, instead of leaving without saying something I thought I would post a question and maybe someone will answer and maybe it will help others that find their way here while they are browsing online...

So, anyway, I love to read, and I have always found a lot of support from reading books. I have a lot of issues that I think impact my sobriety. Years ago, when I was trying to figure out "my world" why people in my world are the way they are and why I react to them the way that I do, I found several books helpful.

Of course the "first" one that I would suggest that people read is of course The Big Book, but in addition to this book, I found reading "CoDependent No More" by Melodie Beattie ( I hope I spelled her name right) and "The Games People Play" (I forget the author's name) and "Women Who Love Too Much" (again, I forget the author's name)+ very helpful in understanding the psychological dynamics that are behind my actions and the actions of others.

I haven't "used" alcohol to cope with my problems for many years, and I never used drugs except for the one time in a failed suicide attempt as a teenager, but I have used other substances over the years to cope with my problems, particularly food. the substance may change, but the actions, the motivations, do  not.  Of course my life has always been filled with friends and family members that have used alcohol, drugs, prescription drugs, illegal drugs, and other substances, and many of them are dead now. Some of them refuse to admit they have issues and go from one substance to another in a continuous downward spiral, I thnk of them as the walking dead, because they are on their way to the grave. A few, unfortunately too few, have seen that they need help and are in various stages on the road to recovery.

I guess that is why I am here, posting, because from what I have been through and what I have seen others go through I know that this road is impossible to walk alone, and it requires the help of a higher power and friends along the way to both guide us, hold our hand and for us to return the favor.

With that in mind, I hope someone else will post about books that have helped them or others. And I hope that everyone will start posting and blogging about their experiences more regularly. I challenge each and every one of you that reads this to post a link and short description of the sobervillage on to the social media sites in your area. Maybe your local area has an online bulletin board or website where you post local events, post a link and description of this site and tell people to come check this site out.  Don't just do this for others, do it for yourself, let's all work together to create an online community that supports one another.

Tags: about, books, help, helpful, obtain, sobriety, supportive, to, you

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The one book that has help me most is The Women,s way through the 12 Steps.

Hi,

I've heard of that book before, but I am embarrassed to admit I have not read it yet. What is the best thing about that book?

Hello,

Sorry that I have not been back here sooner.  But no need to be embarassed.  There is still other books that I have not read yet.  The best thing about this book for me is that it is all Women who share their experience strength and hope.  They talk about the steps and how it help them and what it means to them.  I found this book to be very interesting.    Not only that, it also have a work book.  Something that I have not done, but have look through it. 

When you get a chance check it out.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

Sober Village is a sober community for people looking for a way to reach out to other sober people and 12 step fellowships.

© 2014   Created by Sober Village.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service